• Exterior
  • Guest Lounge
  • Guest Room
  • En-suite
  • Guest Lounge
  • Exterior
  • Guest Lounge
  • Guest Room
  • Guest room
  • Guest room
  • En-suite
  • Guest Room
  • En-suite
  • Dining room
  • AGA cooked breakfast
  • Hallway
  • York Minster
  • Beningbrough Hall owned by the rector of The Old Rectory now owned by the National Trust
  • Thormanby Church
  • The Old Rectory
  • On our doorstep!

GEORGIAN RECTORY WITH A WARM YORKSHIRE WELCOME!

The Old Rectory Is a Grade two Listed former rectory which was built in 1737, located in a small rural village of North Yorkshire on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. We offer a warm welcome and beautiful rooms, and pride ourself on providing a hearty AGA cooked Yorkshire breakfast, we have our own hens for fresh eggs and use local farm produce, we serve all our food fresh to order served using Emma Bridgewater pottery. We are ideally situated for visiting the historic town of York, the spa town of Harrogate and only an hours drive to the coastal towns of Whitby and Scarborough, and  a short distance from the Yorkshire Dales.

The Old Rectory

rectory_6Built in 1737 with a later addition built in 1786. This rectory was built for the Rev John Nesfield, extended in 1786 for the Rev Digby Caley and altered in 1837 for the Rev John Higginson. The House was also home to the rector William Dawney whom also inherited Benningbrough Hall, which is now owned by the National Trust. Part of the building housed what was a music room for local school children in bygone times, but is now the Drawing Room. The house is set in a large old English Country garden with the original early Georgian garden wall.

The village is mentioned twice in the Domesday Book as Tormozbi in the Yarlestre hundred. The majority of lands in the Parish belonged to the manor of Earl Morcar with a small amount of land owned by Eskil and Gamel at the time of the Norman invasion.

The church in the village is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene and is Grade II listed building. It was originally built in the 12th century and has been subject to frequent building work right up to 1955.

st marys

We are a short distance from The Cleveland Way and the North Yorks Moors cycle routes and walks. We can especially cater for Walkers, Climbers, and Cyclists, we provide drying facilities and storage for wet/dirty clothing and equipment, and can offer secure storage for bicycles.

Old Rectory_Lo-res-60 (20)

In the nearby Georgian Market village of Easingwold you will find a choice of pubs, restaurants, and many tearooms, Easingwold also has a Tourist Board office,  antique shops, banks, and an off-licence. There are  many other local excellent pubs within very each reach of the house and all highly recommended.

We have a guest lounge with a real open log fire for all our guests to enjoy. A place where you can relax after an exhilarating day out in the countryside, or to plan your next days excursions.

We also provide information on local walks, tourist attractions, local events, and a timetable for the race meetings at Thirsk and Ripon racecourses.